Wednesday, October 7, 2015

DIY ~ up-cycled chair

It's amazing how time runs away from you. I've had this project in mind since last Christmas. Every time I brought it up we postponed it saying, " to sand it we need to wait until the weather is nicer and that basically means waiting until summer". So months went by and weekends got busy and here we were at the end of August (8 1/2 months later). One day Adam and I looked at each and said, today is the day we start this chair... so we did.


I have another chair that I want to refinish and the fabric I picked out is kinda funky and loud so I knew I wanted something a bit mellow and neutral that could be used for years to come. Another factor was that Adam nor I have ever refinished anything and called upon my mother in law to help with the sewing aspect. So we had to time it just right. The chair needed to be prepped (sanded and painted) before they visited so that when they arrived it was a matter of putting all the fixings together. 










It was actually pretty easy for Lynn (my mother in law) to sew the new fabric on as the two cushions were removable so she was able to sew right over the original fabric. 




Now that the project is complete the problem is where to put the new chair. I'd like to have it in the living room as it matches the decor, however we already have the room organized with enough furniture. So I'll have to do some rearranging, yet again but overall I love the way it turned out. It's not noticeable in the pictures but Adam distressed it a little and it really suits the living room atmosphere. 






Lynn made a pillow case out of the fabric and that is currently on our couch. She had enough fabric left over to make half another pillow case so I'm on the hunt to pick out more fabric in a neutral pattern that could work with this existing one, so she can make a few more cases.   


Have you attempted any DIY's lately? They aren't as easy as Pintrest lets on! I've love to start the other chair but it is going to be a lot more challenging.

2 comments:

  1. Your chair looks great! I love the pillow too! I'm on the hunt for some new fabric for the chairs at my table. I have 2 kids that are craft and playdoh obsessed, so my chairs are constantly gross. I have re-covered them once already and I clean them often but they are no match for spaghetti sauce and playdoh. I'm thinking of trying outdoor sunbrella fabric because it's suppose to be stain resistant. I just can't bring myself to put vinyl on which is what everyone suggests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica. My mother is law did most of the work which I'm thankful for! The fabric I have for the other chair is 'outdoor fabric' and definitely has the feel of being water resistant. And unless you touched it, you would never know it was that type of fabric, so I say GO FOR IT!!! And I was surprised that there are a ton of different patterns and designs so you can even do accent chairs. Let me know what you decide, I'd like to see the end result.

      Delete