Sunday, September 27, 2015

Trash Talk ~ Summer Edition


These are some of my favourite posts/videos to read/watch. I love seeing what others use, rave about or claim to be busts! (It's like looking into someones house as you pass by! Don't tell me you don't do this, I know you do and you love it like the rest of us!!!) No sneak peek shaming here!

I've been working my way through a number of products this year and I'm taking note and rating them according to their effectiveness, price and value. As much as I love skincare and beauty it can become overwhelming as new products are being launched daily and deals are always popping up in my email. I'm known to hoard my products and I'm looking to cut down on what I own so I've been posting what I've used so I can look back and decided whether or not it is worth the repurchase. 

Read along for mini reviews.
1. Pomelo Granite shower gel by Fruits and Passions was left behind in my shower from my mom visiting. I used the remainder of it up and it had a really nice mint/citrus scent to it. It gave a good lather and was quite gentle on my skin. I'm not going to rush out and look for another as Fruits and Passions can be quite pricey and there are lots of products out there that do the same job for a cheaper price tag.  Rating: 4/5

2. Wild Argan Oil shower gel by The Body Shop was a great product and I'd repurchase again depending if the price was right. This left my skin really soft, smooth and richly moisturized. I'd actually like to try some other products in the line as the smell is a gentle nutty scent and lingers lightly on the skin throughout the day. Rating: 5/5

3. French Lavender and Honey triple body moisturizer by Bath and Body works was a nice simple floral cream. I got this on sale and was happy with the results. Even though it was a thick cream I didn't find it sticky and worked it's way into the skin after 10 minutes or so. The scent didn't linger for too long so if you are looking for a cream to add fragrance this might not be the one for you. Rating: 3.5/5

4. Pistachio Cream with Magnolia scent body wash by Dove is a rich moisturizing creamy wash that I will always have in my shower. I've never paid more than $3 for this. It retails for close to $7, and even though I highly recommend it, it would be silly to pay that price for a Dove body wash. They have some wonderful smelling scents but this is by far my favourite one. It's creamy, lathers up nicely and it quite moisturizing. I use this to shave my legs as well. Rating 5/5 
5. Dove Oxygen Moisture shampoo was a really good product. I remember years back trying Dove shampoo out for the first time and hating it! It left my hair unbelievably flat so I was sceptical to try this newer line but I picked it up on sale for roughly $3.00 and I really enjoyed it. It left my hair with a nice bounce and although lightweight it did a great job of cleansing and I was happy with the natural looking results after my hair dried. *If you follow the link to Dove Canada they currently have a $4.00 off coupon. Rating: 4.5/5

6. Briogeo Don't Despair Repair hair mask was a sample I received in an Ipsy bag a number of months ago. It hung around my shower for a long while until I made myself use it. It was nothing special and felt more like a conditioner than a deep repair mask. I'd never heard of the brand before and probably won't be picking it up if I come across it anywhere as it did not leave a lasting impression. Rating: 2/5

7. L'Oreal Paris healthy shine conditioner. I hate to admit it but I box dyed my hair back in March. I wanted a light brown and lo and behold it went darker. That's karma from my hair dresser basically saying "screw you Erin!" Anyway, it was nothing major, but the good thing that came of this was this conditioner. It was extremely moisturizing! I really liked using it and it felt like a treat for my hair. I will not be repurchasing because I'm swearing off box dye!!! Rating: 4.5/5

8. Pantene Repair and Protect shampoo and conditioner were samples I received in a Shoppers gift bag. And I liked this product. I buy most of my shampoos at the drug store so this was worth the try as it is readily available. It smelled great and left my hair feeling really healthy. I was also satisfied as it gave my hair some "oomph". Win win. Rating: 4/5
9. Secret deodorant is a staple for me. I've been around the block more than once when it comes to taking care of business in the underarm region! I've tried everything from natural products, sprays, liquids, bars, you name it and I always return to Secret. I'm a fan of all the scents and will continue to repurchase as it does the trick of masking smell and wetness protection. Rating 4.5/5

10. Philosophy Falling In Love is an all time favourite scent of mine!!! It was apart of my Finish 5 products by Summers end video and I had no problem doing just that! It is a light mix of flora, vanilla and berries and I love the way it holds it's scent throughout the day. I will repurchase ... again and again. Rating: 5/5

11. Bite Beauty Agave lip mask came in a small test pot from Sephora with a purchase I made. I haven't heard the best reviews about this lip mask so I didn't actually reach for it for a few months. But once I tried it (in the evenings after brushing my teeth and right before bed) I was quiet happy with the results. The product worked really well over night and in the mornings my lips felt plump and moisturized. It carries a $30 price tag in Canada and although I think that is a steep price, the product works for me. They have a maple lip mask and I think when it comes time that I purchase that will be the one I reach for. Rating: 4.5/5
                                    
12. The Collection - Blue Cedar Fig candle was a wonderful scented candle that had a bit of a masculine fragrance to it. It burned nicely however I purchased on clearance at Target and probably won't get my hands on another as Target is no longer in Canada!!! Boooo Rating: 4/5

13. Tarte's Light, Camera, Lashes mascara was delightful!!! I only had a sample size of this and I seriously loved the volume it gave my lashes. When I'm in the need of a new mascara this will be my purchase. It stayed on the lashes all day while holding the curl. It separated and gave my lashes tons of noticeable volume. Rating: 5/5

14. Covergirl Lashblast Volume waterproof mascara is a great drugstore product. One thing for sure is that Covergirl knows their mascaras!!! I prefer a waterproof formula as I like it staying on my lashes while working out. The black streaks running down my face isn't the best look for me! A notable highlight for me was that it combed through my lashes, giving each lash volume. The formula was really wet when I opened it so it got better with time. Rating: 4/5

15. Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant mascara was a gift with purchase at Sephora. This was also just a sample size and I enjoyed this mascara but I wasn't blown away by it. The brush was quite huge and made it a bit difficult to get into the lash line. The formula was nice and it did a good job of seperating the lashes and providing them some volume. Rating: 3/5
16. LUSH Turkish Delight shower smoothie was a really nice product that moisturized your body like a lotion but was a product meant for the shower. The product was rose scented and lingered on my body for hours. A little goes a long way and I will repurchase but might try a different scent next time. Rating: 4/5

17. LUSH Mask of Magnaminty face and body mask is a holy grail product for me. I'm in love with this mask because of the way it feels and conditions my skin. It has a peppermint smell and although intense it is not abrasive or harsh on the skin. I use it weekly and can't like without. Rating: 5/5
18. Up & Up makeup removing wipes are my favourite. These are so gentle on my skin I stocked up when Target was closing as they are apart of their brand. They are quite moist (hate that word) and have a light fresh scent. In the evenings I tend to use them after my makeup removing balm. I've tried a number of brands and in my opinion these are by far the best bang for your buck. Rating 4.5/5

19. Sephora Ginseng eye mask was a nice little treat. I'm a huge fan of their face masks and thought I'd give the eye mask a try and it was equally as pleasing. What I appreciate from these types of masks is the moisture they provide. They provide your under eye area with radiant freshness and take less than 15 minutes to work. Rating: 4.5/5

20. First Aid Beauty face cleanser was a sample size I picked up at Winners. I really wanted to like this product as it has a great following however, the cleanser was just okay for me. Although it says it is a fragrance free formula I found that it had a "soapy" smell and it left my skin feeling a bit tight. It did a good job of cleaning my face but it just wasn't for me. I have another sample size that I might give to a friend to try, hoping they enjoy it a bit more that I did. Rating: 3/5

21. Face brush. I wash my face at least once a day... somedays I do a better job than others but I always use a face brush for one of the cleanings. For me, a face brush is gentle enough that my skin doesn't tug or get irritated but at the same time it does a great job at deep cleaning as it scrubs old makeup, dirt, sweat and grime off my face. It's not abrasive and I really appreciate that. I highly recommend trying a face brush in replacement of a wash cloth. Rating: 5/5

22. Philosophy Purity Foraming 3 in 1 cleanser is a cult favourite but wasn't the best face cleanser I've ever used. To be honest, the product never seemed to end and I was over the moon when it did! It cleaned my face but for the price of the product it did nothing special and I'm glad to say "good bye" to this one! Rating: 3/5
23. Crest Pro Health mouth wash was a product Adam and I used up together. Every evening we use this before bed and both noticed our teeth were always shiner/whiter when we used this on a regular basis. We will repurchase when the price is right. Rating: 4/5

24. Listerine Total Care Zero. I really liked this because there was a lack of intensity which made me want to use it. I hate when you are trying to swish mouthwash around in your mouth and your eyes are watering because of the burning sensation. The "zero" represents no alcohol and I've picked up another one because of this quality. Rating: 4/5

25. Colgate Total toothpaste. I have a number of these in my linen closet. Adam is not a fan of this toothpaste, he claims it makes his mouth numb so I'm stuck finishing them off. I don't have a problem with it though. It does the trick, although nothing special I got it on sale for a great price. Rating: 3.5/5
26. Bath and Body Works foaming hand soap in Jolly Citrus Wreath was a nice fragrant soap. I'm glad I'm finished it as I'd like to move onto something different. Bath and Body works does a great job at matching the scents to the name and this product did not disappoint. It was a " winter holiday" in a bottle. Rating: 4/5

27. Sephora Super Nourishing Lip balm is a go to product for me. And as soon as I finish I had another on the go. I think this is a great balm that nourishes and moisturizes and only cost $7 Cdn. I'm a fan and have been sharing my love since 2013. Rating: 5/5

28. Fresh Lip treatment was the prefect lip balm that I used under or over lipsticks. I've since picked up a few different shades and love them for all year around. The blends are a mix of oils, wax and real sugar providing your lips with protection and moisturizer. Rating: 5/5

*Since writing this post, I've finished even more products. I'll being doing some shorter "Trash Talk" posts in the future, but in the meantime I'd love to hear what you've finished and what you will be repurchasing.

Enjoy,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment