Friday, December 4, 2015

Winter Nails

I use to have my nails professionally done every three weeks and for a few years I loved changing them up, adding creative designs etc, but for the past year or so I've been painting my own. There is something therapudic about painting my nails... but it wasn't always that way. I could do a steller job on my left hand and then the right looked like a mangled mess. With lots of cotton pads and nail polish remover used, I've slowly become decent at painting my nails and now enjoy painting them 2-3 times a week. Rarely do they chip before I decide to change them up. The therapeutic aspect comes into play as I usually allot a time in my day to paint my nails, usually in the evenings after the hustle and bustle. I grab a big glass of H2O, put on a face mask, listen to a record and spend some time on me.

You can get really creative this time of year...ruby reds, black knights (play on words) and loads of glitter but I'm more of a simple person that likes looks that will carry me from Thanksgiving into the New Year. 

I've put together a few colours that are brilliant this time of year, both intriguing yet simple. All looks are budget friendly and can be spiced up by adding a lighter/darker shade to one nail or applying glitter.



1. Smith & Cult - Bitter Buddhist  2. Essie - Vested Interest
3. Essie - Parka Perfect  4. Sally Girl - TTFN

I've been on the hunt for some fun grey shades and over the past two weeks I've discovered plenty. Grey undertone nail polish is the perfect colour for this time of year. Blue/green and purple shades are the ones I flock too and love that they are neutral and can be easily worn. Some see grey as a dreary colour but I find it quite chic and effortlessly cool. Grey hues perfectly suit the cooler months dramatic moods. An ombre look with a few of these shades would look superb.



1. Smith & Cult - Tenderoni  2. OPI - Miami Beet
3. Essie - Bahama Mama  4. Smith & Cult - Lovers Creep
 Berry colours are my jam. I much prefer these shades to bright reds. There is something about the berry hues and the way they complement my wardrobe this time of year, plus they scream "autumnal". These darker vampy tones are a great classic twist to the traditional red.

  
1. My nails painted in Sally Girl - Chillax, also shown in bottom right
2. Sally Hansen - Fish Tail Braid  3. OPI - Teal the Cows Come Home


It's not because I have goals of becoming a mermaid, but teal is one fffine shade. It's the pop of colour that will always get you compliments and fits the mood of the cooler months perfectly. A teal manicure is a wee bit daring yet fashionable, allowing any skin tone to pull it off. With most teal colours they are highly pigmented so I recommend you apply a base coat first. Also, try accenting one nail to get a funkier, bolder look.

These are my suggestions for nail colours as we tradition into the colder months. I would love to hear if you have any go to polishes you recommend that I try.


Happy painting. 




No comments:

Post a Comment