Thursday, March 5, 2015

5 Things to do/try/buy ~ Tammy Wallace

If you have dabbled into the world of Pinterest then I'm sure you have come across a few simple and perfect hair do's by Kate from The Small Things Blog. I've been a big fan of Kate's for a number of years now. Her quiet demeanour is quite charming and she gives helpful tutorials on Youtube regarding beauty and hair. This past month she started a little series on her blog called "5 things to do try/buy ", where she asked fellow bloggers, friends and mothers to list their top five "must have " items. I thought this was such a unique way to learn a little bit about what others consider their "holy grail" secrets, that I've asked around and will be featuring some friends and family members on my blog.

So here we go...

5 Things To Do/Try/Buy with Tammy Wallace




Tammy is my sister in law (Adam's oldest sister) and lives in the Moncton area. She and her husband just finished building their dream home and reside there with their two daughters. Tammy has a passion for photography and knack for home decor. Needless to say their new home is nicely decorated and filled with loads of great photos. Here are Tammy's top 5 favourite things she would like to pass along...

1. Bar Keeper's Friend (Mildly addicted to this stuff). I've been buying at Target for when it's on sale for .99 cents because it's way cheaper than other stovetop cleaners, but it also works for cleaning stainless steel, sinks, bathtubs, diminishing cracks in porcelain sinks and dishes, soap scum, burnt on grease in pots and pans. LOVE IT. 

2. Dr. Jart Black Label Detox BB. I've tried many BB creams and foundations over the years, and this is one of my absolute favourites. It adds a youthful quality to my dehydrated, aging skin, while gently moisturizing and helping conceal skin discolourations. I wear it everyday, even if I'm laid up in the house all day, just to feel better about myself. That's saying something.

3. Dr. Bronners Castile Oil Soap. I've been using this stuff for a couple of years now and I love it. It's very gentle, smells great, is good for the environment and people. It's organic, non-gmo and made from 100% pure plant oils. We use it as a shower gel, bubble bath, shampoo, shave cream (when combined with coconut oil is THE BEST) and some use it to brush their teeth but I haven't it and won't. It can be used to wash dishes, mop floors, wash laundry and as a multipurpose cleaner. Some make insect repellant with it. There are probably hundreds of other uses out there I haven't tried but might. Personally I have used it for all these things except laundry. It's great stuff. 

4. DSLR Camera. Photography is not for everyone but for me it's been a bit of a God send. Living with chronic pain on a daily basis changes you. It's easy to see the glass as half empty. Photography not only allows me to catch simple candid moments of my family that I will cherish when my memory someday fails me, but it allows me to find beauty and wonder in the most mundane things. It reminds me how beautiful life is and not to take it for granted. 

5. Blogs. I've learned a tonne of time-saving, useful, penny-pinching ideas in blogs. DIYers really make you feel like you can do anything, and truthfully you can if you try. 
I've learned how to make no-sew grommet curtains and roman blinds (when I'm too lazy to sew- though I know how), how to get old grout looking like new, how to make my own decor hacks for significantly less and how to get perfectly buttery bokeh from my camera lens, etc etc. Yep! Possibilities are endless on the inter "web". 


~ I'm really interested in trying the Dr. Bronners soap - I love a product that has multiple uses (like the idea of using the coconut oil with it too). And I'm really digging the look of bokeh. Thanks for all the great recommendations Tammy!

2 comments:

  1. Fun guest blogger!!
    I adore the small things blog, Kate's so cool and a regular gal! Love her

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what intrigues me about her as well ... Just a regular gal.
    I really liked her mini "5 things" series and wanted to replicate it. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete