Monday, March 16, 2015

5 Things to do/try/buy ~ Vicky Bashiu

I've known Vicky since we were wee ones prancing around dance class at the age of 4. Although my dancing career was short lived we have remained great friends over the past "number" of years. We've lived in different cities together and have encountered some major shenanigans along the way. One thing about Vicky is that she has friends all over. At one point during her wedding "the crew" realized we were all friends because of one person who brought us all together. Vicky is the girl who would ride alongside you heading to the drunk tank! No, that never happened but I'd be calling "the Viskster"  as I know it would make for an epic experience. 

To sum up this wonderful amigo, she's the whiskey in your teacup.



Here are Vicky's recommendations for the "5 Things to do/try/buy" series:

1. Treat yourself to a fully functional hoodie. What is a fully functional hoodie? A sweat that can work for both casual Friday at the office (okay some offices, like mine!) and a dressed down Sunday brunch. I recently purchased this one and I love it! Buyer beware for this specific sweater, it runs extremely small.

2. Once you've broken the bank with your hoodie, try thrift shopping. While I am a Frenchie's (an East Coast used clothing store) fan, there are lots of options when looking for second-hand merchandise. With Silas growing like a weed and going through clothes like crazy, I like a good deal. For the price of clothes, even if he wears them once or twice and ruins them, I consider it a win. We also like to purchase toys in excellent used condition, and pass those on once he no longer takes an interest.


Silas has his first swimming lesson.


3. Buy and try cloth diapers. Not only are they environmentally friendly, they are also freaking adorable. We do use disposables on occasion, but mainly use cloth. It's not as gross as you might believe, actually it's not gross at all, and let's face it, once you have a baby, your tolerance to grossness sky rockets. We use Applecheeks, which are a Canadian company, but there are many different brands out there. I suggest trying a few different types and styles and find what works for both you and baby.



4. Try to DIY, even it you're not "crafty". With Silas turing one, I decided to make his birthday gift, and do the decorations for his party. I am lucky to be on maternity leave, so have more time than most to DIY. For the party monster decoration I used this blog and think they turned out quiet cute and whimsical. I also, gave life to an old rocking horse my late father had gifted to Silas right before he passed away. This I did on my own, relying on a tutorial on painting camouflage. I can't wait for Silas to see it and to tell him the story of where the rocking horse came from.




5. Last but not least, do something new at the gym. Step outside your comfort zone. I literally stepped outside my normal routine and tried Les Mills Body Step at Goodlife Fitness. Was I scared to fall over and die of embarrassment, YES! Did I get over it, I certainly did. I really enjoyed the music, the moves and the variety of women in the class and have since returned to the class quiet a few times.

~ Vicky you did a fantastic job on your DIY's. I mean seriously those monsters are to cute and the  "upcycled" rocking chair is sure to be a favourite toy of Silas' !
I agree that trying new things at the gym can turn you on to loving something you never thought you would! I'll attempt a step class with you when I'm home next. As long as you promise I won't fall and fart. Ha ha.
Thanks for all the great recommendations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment